Thursday, February 24, 2011

My Morning Buddha

My Morning Buddha

The statue in the foreground is called "Three Heads, Six Arms," by Chinese sculptor Zhang Huan.

This was one of my favorite pieces of public art, and now it's gone. It was dismantled and shipped back to Shanghai this week. What's also gone is the hard drive in my home computer. It crashed this week, and is being replaced. So I'm not spending nearly as much time online right now as I normally do. At least the computer is still under warranty. Still... that's a lot of abandoned couch shots most likely lost.

4 comments:

Donna said...

sorry about the computer. This is sculpture to wake up to every morning. Very glad you caught it!

Tom Hilton said...

Aaauuggh! Damn, that sucks. (Your hard drive--not the photo.)

Generik said...

Well, I got the word this morning that it's fixed, and I think I'll be able to recover most everything I had on the old hard drive, so it's not nearly as bad as it could be. Also, it's still under warranty, so no charge to me.

I kind of feel like I dodged a bullet.

ahab said...

Wow, great news.

I'm obsessed with backup but I've never addressed it in a truly comprehensive way. You really need off-site backup to be completely safe. I do have a RAID 1 array in my main hard drive, and that protects against a single bad hard drive. But if my house burns down or gets burgled or a virus gets into my system I'm screwed. Upload services like Carbonite get slow as hell after the first couple of hundred gigs, so they aren't the answer either. I guess the best option is a safe deposit box and redundant HDD, but then you have to work to keep it current. There's no easy answer.

So glad your stuff was recoverable.